Main Event UFC World Light Heavyweight Championship
In the Main Event, UFC light heavyweight champion Jan Blachowicz successfully made his first title defense against UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya. Through a grueling five rounds, Blachowicz imposed his strength and punching output peppered with takedowns, while Adesanya used his smart combinations and kicks. It was a close call all the way to the end, with the judges awarding the victory to the champion.
UFC World Women’s Featherweight Championship
In the second of three title fights, UFC featherweight champion Amanda Nunes put her title on the line against Megan Anderson, and it was over with lightning speed. Nunes put in the punches that wobbled Anderson, then finished her via arm bar submission once it hit the canvas. Nunes keeps the featherweight title with the UFC’s second-highest win streak at 12 in a row.
UFC World Bantamweight Championship
UFC bantamweight champion Petr Yan took on surging No. 1 contender Aljamain Sterling in a bout of the highest level MMA techniques. Three rounds saw the tide swing from Sterling to Yan with blistering striking and creative takedowns. However, in the fourth round, Yan threw a knee to Sterling’s head when he was downed, which was an intentional foul, and Sterling became the new bantamweight champion through disqualification, the first result of this kind.
Main card action:
Islam Makhachev used a smothering ground game to dominate Drew Dober in the first round, and then submitted him early in the second with an arm triangle. The win will give the #14 lightweight a big leg up in the rankings.
The light heavyweight division showcase started with former title challenger #2 Thiago Santos and #4 Aleksandar Rakic engaging in a tentative three rounds, sensitive to their future rankings, and Rakic landed the win via the scorecards.
Fight of the Night:
- Kennedy Nzechukwu vs. Carlos Ulberg
Performances of the Night:
- Uros Medic
- Kai Kara-France
UFC World Championships
- Light heavyweight title: Jan Blachowicz defeated Israel Adesanya via unanimous decision
- Women’s featherweight title: Amanda Nunes defeated Megan Anderson via submission at 2:03 of round 1
- Bantamweight title: Aljamain Sterling defeated Petr Yan via disqualification at 4:29 of round 4
- Islam Makhachev defeated Drew Dober via submission at 1:37 of round 3
- Aleksandar Rakic defeated Thiago Santos via unanimous decision
- Dominick Cruz defeated Casey Kenney via split decision
- Kyler Phillips defeated Song Yadong via unanimous decision
- Askar Askarov defeated Joseph Benavidez via unanimous decision
- Kai Kara-France defeated Rogerio Bontorin via TKO at 4:55 of round 1
- Tim Elliott defeated Jordan Espinosa via unanimous decision
- Kennedy Nzechukwu defeated Carlos Ulberg via TKO at 3:19 of round 2
- Sean Brady defeated Jake Matthews via submission at 3:28 of round 3
- Amanda Lemos defeated Livinha Souza via TKO at 3:39 of round 1
- Uros Medic defeated Aalon Cruz via TKO at 1:40 of round 1
- Trevin Jones defeated Mario Bautista via TKO at 0:47 of round 2